July 29, 2012

Ice Cream

How's retirement? 
Do you feel more energized? 
What did you used to do? 
Where do I start? 
Here's the short answer; Weird. No. Too much!
 Unsettled.
As you can see I'm not as reconciled to all of this as I would like. 
I want to have a smart, well-thought out response,reciting my past accomplishments with wit and charm. 
Instead I feel small and awkward. I don't have anything important to list and my days seem to melt together like a bowl of ice-cream on a hot day. 
In fact, eating ice cream sounds really good. Feeling adrift and unsettled in this sea of indecisions and unknowns is growing. 
I'm finding a new agenda - trying to prove my worth now that I'm unemployed. This is exhausting. I have an annoying urge to do something, be someone, feel important. Ouch. 
Behind.
So early today I went outside, and began to read my 24/7 Bible. (That will be another post.) For those of you who might be on this journey with me, I confess I'm behind. Another place of disappointment. I digress. 
So even though I'm behind, it is exactly what I needed. What about you?

Is anyone thirsty?
Come and drink - 
even if you have no money!
Come, take your choice of wine or milk-
it's all free!
Why spend your money on food that does not give you strength?
Why pay for food that does you no good?
Listen to me, and you will eat what is good.
You will enjoy the finest food.
Come to me with your ears wide open.
Listen, and you will find life.
I will make an everlasting covenant with you.
I will give you all the unfailing love I promised to David.
"My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD.
"And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine"
Isaiah 55:1-3,8.

Listening.
I'm seeing a truth emerging. Once again it is me trying too hard. 
Why do I make everything such a job? This is not a task to be accomplished, but an offer of becoming
Could I entertain the possibility of a new way to listen? Resisting the urge to demand what the result will be? 
God is calling, offering me perfect peace. 
I can hide in Him, release my burdens to the burden-bearer. 
Thank you God that your ways are far beyond anything I can imagine.
Maybe it's time for some ice-cream? Join me, it's summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment