August 3, 2012

Eager

Today is our anniversary. Thirty-two years ago on a hot August evening, two eager souls said "I do." 

I believe eager is important for many reasons. Mainly because I had no idea what "I do" actually would mean. I was eager to begin this journey and after over thirty years of marriage, I'm grateful for this fact. 
Eagerness allowed me to have forward motion and a bit of reckless abandon. 
Thinking through every possible contingency, weighing the pros and cons, comparing statistics probably would  have caused inertia because relationships have an unpredictable nature.  
Our impact, the opportunity to grow each other up, as in "iron sharpening iron" would be lost in a sea of indecision.
Different. 
We are so different and as I continue in this act of marriage, I am very, very grateful. 
Why would I want my mirror image in thinking, doing or emoting?

Abundant Life. 
As I soar and crash in life's joys and sorrows, Peter remains a constant. He's not easily bothered or dismayed. In my immaturity I have wished for something that could have destroyed us both. 
Our boys have benefitted from his calming presence, which reminds me of how partnership is a work in progress. 
God has kept us lacking, so that we continue to seek Him. He reminds us that we are not to look to each other for completion but in Him we are complete
He uses both the good times and the hard times to remind me of this all-important truth; in Him we will find abundant life. 

Whether married, divorced, single or widowed, we are only lacking relationally when our eagerness to pursue dies. Marriage is one of many ways in which our God works His mysteries out in the everydayness of life. 
Relationships are all around us, begging to be discovered. There's always room for another friend in our circle. 

 Today I'm eagerly expectant in what the next thirty years will bring both of us.
Who will join our circle?
So for now, may that "I do" become "I will". 
What a gift. 
What a treasure.

Live in harmony with one another.
Accept one another.
Care for one another.
Serve one another in love.
Don't provoke or envy one another.
Carry one another's burdens.
Be kind to one another.
Forgive one another.
Don't lie to one another.
Comfort one another.
Encourage one another.
Pray for one another.

Oh may we eagerly pursue these "one anothers" fueled with hope because of His abundant grace for the journey.


No comments:

Post a Comment