February 1, 2012

Winter




Today when I left my house I was surprised at the beauty of the quince bush at the foot of our planter. 
For most of the year it's a big green bush that has rather ordinary leaves, uninteresting form and a shape that's oversized for the planter.
 I have found myself wondering how I could convince Peter that it needed to come out! I even toyed with the idea of grabbing some shears and hacking it back. 

Thankfully, I was too tired to attempt the pruning.  
But, yesterday I was struck by its wintery beauty. The exposed branches were just beginning to bud with beautiful white flowers. They have a sculptural quality that begged me to pause and enjoy its splendor. New life was emerging. It's stunning and I'm enjoying the view every day. 

As I walked around the block I thought about my life in this recent season. 
I was preoccupied with me, what wasn’t fair, and how I was under-appreciated. 
I was like that big ordinary green bush taking up space without adding to the landscape. 
My self-focused attitude took up a lot of space, leaving little room for growth. 

Thankfully, the Master Gardener is a skilled pruner and He knows just what to cut away in order to expose the beautiful form and structure waiting to emerge. 
My season of pruning continues. 
There are places of loss, regret and longing that are still present. 
I want to grow and spread my branches exposing the beautiful places that He's revealing, yet I know in order to grow well I must submit to the pruning.

This is hard and the winter of this season can be very cold. 
This brings me to the joy of "Continuing the Conversation". I need to be in relationship with women who are willing to join me in learning to trust Him. He who has begun the good work is faithful to complete it.

 Where are you being pruned? 
Or maybe this is your season of splendor. 
God is speaking. Are we ready to listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment