August 21, 2012

Three Words

I was driving thinking of absolutely nothing when this sign appeared. Actually the sign has been hanging for quite some time, but today it jumped out at me and caused me to stop and actually read all three words.

Think. Forgive. Act.

I haven't thought a lot about "thinking forgiveness" before I act. In fact what I'm usually "thinking" is how I have been hurt, or what I'm going to say the next time. 
What would happen if I thought about forgiving? Is that why "act" follows forgive? 
Reading the account of Joseph and his brothers in Genesis, I am drawn to his incredible words at the end of the story. The brothers became fearful after their father died because they thought Joseph would retaliate because of their harsh treatment of him. Yet Joseph responded with these words;


"Don't be afraid of me. Am I God, that I can punish you? You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good." Genesis 50:19-20.

When I hold on to my hurt I feel justified because I have been hurt. I want others to know how I have been harmed. I want someone punished!
 Do I really believe that God isn't aware of my pain?
Could I choose to look at this in light of how God could use it for good? 

Jesus came to " bring Good News to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim that captives will be released, that the blind will see, that the oppressed will be set free, and that the time of the LORD'S favor has come".
Luke 4:18-19.  

The word for "set free" in the Greek is aphesis, translated "forgive". He's reminding the people of the observance of the Year of Jubilee, where debts were forgiven, slaves freed and land was given back to the original owners.

We can live in the Year of Jubilee every day because in Christ we are forgiven. He has bestowed on us favor without conditions. 

I'm "thinking" of this today and trusting that my actions will reflect the incredible grace I have received. 
My choice to forgive is my act of embracing the truth that I have been forgiven! Not something I can do alone, so I will keep in prayer, calling out to the One who has forgiven me.

May these three words become a way to live gracefully, freely forgiving because we are embracing the generous forgiveness of our loving Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment