September 19, 2012

Wise Words

Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning. Proverbs 1:7 MSG.

I love directions. A map - so I can find the exit, instructions to a game that's new, a gift registry for the newly married couple releases my anxiety by allowing me to pick something on their list. 
My greatest moments of frustration have been around not knowing what or how to do something and feeling lost and confused. "Where are the instructions"? 

Start with God - the first step in learning is bowing down to God. 
Ah.... a beginning clearly stated. It doesn't seem complicated and I'm even given a first step in my journey of learning. 

Bow down.
So just because it's clearly stated in a few brief words,this is big! At first glance, I can easily agree with the text because- I am not God. Yet I'm faced with the truth that I operate inside like I know some things that should happen, in fact, I have a plan and if asked I can tell you all about it. I struggle when people act in ways I don't like. 
I want everyone to play fair and I believe that doing the "right" thing should be encouraged. Which also means the "wrong" thing is a punishable offense. 

Judge and jury. With all my time spent trying to control others, I loose sight of me. 
My heart gets small along with my mind. 
Life looses it vibrancy as I trudge through trying to keep everyone on the path. 
There is another way, I know this, but I still resist
Who will do all the things I'm doing? 
What will happen if I stop?

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. James 1:5

How would it look to live in a posture of "bowing down" to God? 
Would any of this really matter? 
I want to find out and am I ever glad I have the directions!


No comments:

Post a Comment