"If you're serious about living the new resurrection life with Jesus then act like it!"
It goes on to encourage me to stop looking at the ground, shuffling along absorbed with the things right in front of me. I'm hearing this exhortation while considering what's next on my home improvement list? Ouch!
Just this morning I had a sweet time reading my Bible and sitting contemplating Israel's wanderings and rebellions. How easy it was for me to read of those people and how thick-headed and stubborn they were.
Didn't they get it? God was taking care of them, providing for their needs. Setting up laws to abide by so that they could live full and rich lives.
Isn't it easy when it's all about those people?
I'm "those people". Restless and impatient, eyes downward only seeing what's right in front of me.
Choices.
Reading further in Colossians, I'm reminded that my old life is dead and my new life - which is my real life is with Christ in God. He's my life. I'm invited into a life of love dressed in compassion, kindness, humility, quiet strength, discipline.
I'm to be even-tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an offense. It's the peace of Christ that will keep me in tune with others. The instruction is clear and I want to be serious, yet gravity is pulling my vision south.
Oh Jesus, may I be alert to what's going on with You. May my gaze be focused up, seeing things from your eternal perspective.
"Let the peace of Christ keep you in tune with each other, in step with each other. Every detail in your lives - words, actions, whatever - be done in the name of the Master Jesus, thanking God the Father every step of the way."

No comments:
Post a Comment